Inspired by the Italian dish spaghetti al tonno e pomodoro, this quick and healthy pasta became a staff favorite at EatingWell. If you keep canned tuna and whole-wheat pasta on hand, you’ll do what we did: return to this quick meal again and again.
Active Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
(Make 4 serves)
Amount Per Serving (about 1 cup each): 349 Calories, 22 g. Protein, 50 g. Carbohydrates, 0 g added Sugars, 9 g. Dietary Fiber, 8 g. Fat ( 1 g. sat , 6 g. mono ), 27 mg. Cholesterol, 33 mg. Sodium, 139 mg. Potassium
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (60% daily value), Magnesium (21% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 very lean meat, 1 fat
- 8 oz. of whole-wheat spaghetti
- 2 Tbsp. of extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. of minced garlic
- 2 anchovies, minced (optional)
- 1/4 tsp. of crushed red pepper, or to taste
- 1 can (28 oz.) of diced tomatoes
- 1 can (6 oz.) of chunk light tuna, drained and flaked (see Note)
- 2 Tbsp. of thinly sliced fresh basil
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in large-size non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil and cook garlic, stirring, about 1 min until fragrant.
- Add anchovies (if using), crushed red pepper and cook about 30 seconds more.
- Add tomatoes, reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, about 8 min.
- Stir in tuna and cook about 2 min more, until it is incorporated into sauce and heated through.
- Divide spaghetti evenly among 4 plates, top with sauce and garnish with basil. Serve hot.
- Note: Chunk light tuna, which comes from the smaller skipjack or yellowfin, has less mercury than canned white albacore tuna. The FDA/EPA advises that women who are or might become pregnant, nursing mothers and young children consume no more than 6 oz. of albacore a week; up to 12 oz. of canned light tuna is considered safe.
Source : EatingWell
Tuna, like all fish, is a good low-fat source of protein. served with chopped vegetables in a pita pocket for a quick lunch or light dinner….
Tuna Salad Sandwich
Served on toasted French bread, this was a wonderful summer lunch….
Tuna Steak Sandwiches
Tuna is a good source of low-fat protein and provides many vitamins and minerals, including vitamin B-12, selenium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus and niacin, is a wonderful way to excite the palate…
Spaghetti with Quick Meat Sauce
This easy spaghetti with meat sauce is perfect for a weeknight meal when there is not a lot of time. It’s ready in 30 minutes or less….
Recipe Under : 300 to 400 Calories – Stir Fry