Summer Quinoa Salad
There are some foods that just seem to be powerhouse foods – packed with nutrition and flavor! Quinoa is definitely one of those foods. As a bonus, it is gluten free so people with a gluten allergy or intolerance can enjoy it as well.
Quinoa is very versatile – I have seen it used in breakfast recipes, main dishes, cookies, and salads! My sister-in-law made this salad a few nights ago and I knew it was going to be a winner. It is not only beautiful, but it is fresh and full of flavor packed ingredients. It is also a great way to use some of your garden fresh ingredients – bell peppers, cilantro and tender young carrots. The ingredients are diced fine making it a great way to pack a lot of nutrition in to each bite for your little ones!
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup minced carrots
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil over high heat in a saucepan, then pour in the quinoa, cover with a lid, and continue to simmer over low heat until the water has been absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. Once the quinoa is cooked, pour into a mixing bowl, and chill in the refrigerator until chilled.
- Once chilled, stir in the red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, red onion, curry powder, cilantro, lime juice, sliced almonds, carrots, and cranberries. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Chill before serving.