Smoky Eggplant and Yogurt Puree
This Turkish grilled eggplant purée is much like the Middle Eastern classic baba ganoush. The eggplant is grilled until it blackens and collapses, and then it’s peeled, mashed or puréed, and enriched with garlic, lemon juice, oil and yogurt standing in for tahini. Season and serve with pita bread or crudités. When grilling whole eggplants, seek out smaller ones, as they will grill more quickly and evenly than the large, bulbous ones.
(Make 6 servings)
Amount Per Serving (1 1/2 cups): 65 Calories, 2 g. Protein, 8 g. Carbohydrates, 4 g. Dietary Fiber, 3 g. Fat (1 g. sat), 2 mg. Cholesterol, 5 mg. Sodium (does not include salt added during preparation)
- 1 1/4-1 1/2 lb. of eggplant
- 2 garlic cloves, mashed in a mortar and pestle with a generous pinch of salt (more to taste)
- 2 Tbsp. of lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup of drained yogurt
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh mint for garnish
- Prepare a hot grill.
- Pierce eggplants in a few places with the tip of a knife or with a skewer. Grill until they are uniformly charred and the flesh is very soft and beginning to ooze.
- Transfer to a bowl, and cover tightly. Allow the eggplants to cool until you can handle them, then remove their skins and stems and discard any juice in the bowl.
- Transfer eggplant pulp to a food processor fitted with the steel blade or to a bowl. Mash with a fork, or purée in food processor. Add the remaining ingredients, and combine well.
- Taste and adjust seasonings. The purée will be slightly runny, but it will stiffen up.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve warm or room temperature with pita bread or crudités.
- Advance preparation: Although this is best served warm, you may prepare it hours ahead and serve it at room temperature, or reheat for about 30 seconds in a microwave.
Source : Martha Rose Shulman
The combination of coarsely chopped almonds, pomegranate molasses and drained yogurt provide a powerful set of nutrients to this Turkish dish, …
Grilled Eggplant and Pepper Salad
This somewhat spicy dish is the North African version of a salad made throughout the Mediterranean. You can really show off your skills by grilling a salad….
Eggplant, Bulgur and Tomato Casserole with Yogurt Topping
This is a vegetarian version of moussaka, with bulgur instead of meat. This gratin has a tangy Balkan-style yogurt and egg topping that’s much lighter than béchamel….
Spicy Stir-Fried Japanese Eggplant and Cucumber
This is a simple stir-fry recipe. It comes together with quickly and healthy. Cucumbers have a bit of a firm crunch, but soaks up flavors and spice beautifully….
Ratatouille with Eggplant and Zucchini
This fabulous side dish is packed with nothing but tons of veggies, this stuff is pretty damn healthy. Serve with grilled, roasted, or broiled meat, fish, or poultry….
Recipe Under : 0 to 100 Calories – Eggplant – Grilling – Lemon – Yogurt