Puréed Zucchini Soup With Curry
This is a beautiful, light spring soup. It comes together easily and healthy. It is also low in fat and calorie. Basmati rice makes the soup thicken purées and bulk them up. Zucchini, a small summer squash, is not only delightful taste and texture, but it is also packed with nutritional value and health benefits, including vitamins and minerals and protection against disease.
(Make 4 serves)
Amount Per Serving: 146 Calories, 7 g. Protein, 22 g. Carbohydrates, 3 g. Dietary Fiber, 4 g. fat ( 1 g. sat , 3 g. mono 1 g. poly), 0 mg. Cholesterol, 60 mg. Sodium
- 1 Tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 lb. of zucchini, diced (about 7 cups diced)
- 2 tsp. of curry powder
- 6 cups of chicken stock, vegetable stock or water
- 1/4 cup of basmati rice
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of cayenne
- 2 Tbsp. of fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. of chopped chives
- 1 small zucchini, sliced paper-thin, tossed with salt and, if desired, lemon juice, and marinated for about 15 mins or longer
- Garlic croutons (optional)
- Heat oil in large-sized, heavy soup pot over medium heat and add onion. Cook for about 5 mins, stirring, until it is tender.
- Add a generous pinch of salt, garlic and zucchini, stir for about 1 minute, until garlic smells fragrant.
- Add curry powder, stir together.
- Add stock or water, rice and salt to taste. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 30 mins. Taste and adjust salt.
- Purée soup with immersion blender or food mill or in batches in blender, taking care to remove the lid or take out the center insert and to cover with towel to avoid hot splashes. Return to pot, heat through,
- Add pepper and cayenne to taste and stir in lemon juice.
- Serve, garnishing each bowl with paper-thin slices of zucchini, chopped chives and croutons if desired.
- Advance preparation: This will keep for a couple of days in the refrigerator but tastes best on the day it’s made. It can also be frozen.
Source : Martha Rose Shulman
Making a switch from high glycemic index diet food to low glycemic index diet food is essential in diabetic diet….
Minestrone is an Italian soup that usually contains vegetables, pasta and peas or beans. This version uses unsalted chicken broth and fresh tomatoes rather than canned tomatoes …
Swiss Chard and Rice Soup
This Swiss Chard and Rice Soup is an easy way to reduce your total calorie and fat intake. It is filling and light. This simple soup that is perfect for spring/early summer…
Green Minestrone Soup
This BIG soup is a delicious, healthy, low fat soup, with the vitamins and iron from the vegetable. Spinach, chard and celery – this soup is a veritable sea of greens. …
Zucchini, a popular type of summer squash, has a mild flavor and cucumber-like appearance. It contains lutein, a phytochemical thought to protect vision. …
Recipe Under : 100 to 200 Calories – Basmati Rice – Onion – Simmer – Zucchini