Grilled Eggplant Purée with Pomegranate Syrup and Almonds
The combination of coarsely chopped almonds, pomegranate molasses and drained yogurt provide a powerful set of nutrients to this Turkish dish, including manganese, potassium, calcium and vitamin E. You can find pomegranate molasses in Middle Eastern markets; it has a distinct sweet-and-sour flavor. When grilling whole eggplants, seek out smaller ones, as they will grill more quickly and evenly than the large, bulbous ones.
(Make 6 servings)
Amount Per Serving (1 1/2 cups): 72 Calories, 3 g. Protein, 10 g. Carbohydrates, 5 g. Dietary Fiber, 3 g. Fat (1 g. sat), 1 mg. Cholesterol, 6 mg. Sodium (does not include salt added during preparation)
- 1 1/4-1 1/2 lb. of eggplant
- 2 garlic cloves, mashed in a mortar and pestle with a generous pinch of salt
- 3 Tbsp. of drained yogurt
- 2 Tbsp. of fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp. of pomegranate molasses (more to taste)
- Scant 1/4 cup of toasted almonds (1 oz. of almonds), finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. of finely chopped fresh mint
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Fresh mint leaves for garnish
- Prepare a hot charcoal grill.
- Pierce eggplants in several places with the tip of a knife. Grill, turning them every so often until completely softened and charred.
- Transfer to a bowl, and cover tightly. Allow the eggplants to cool until you can handle them, then remove their skins and stems, and discard any juice in the bowl.
- In a food processor fitted with the steel blade or with a fork, purée eggplant. Add garlic, yogurt, lemon juice, molasses, chopped almonds and chopped mint. Mix together.
- Add salt and pepper, taste and adjust seasonings.
- Transfer to a serving bowl, garnish with mint and serve.
- Advance preparation: The dish is best served warm, but you can grill the eggplant up to several hours ahead and then reheat it in a warm oven for about 20 minutes. Leftovers are good for a few days.
Source : Martha Rose Shulman
This somewhat spicy dish is the North African version of a salad made throughout the Mediterranean. You can really show off your skills by grilling a salad….
Grilled Eggplant Slices with Tomatoes and Feta
This is a beautiful, delicious and healthy vegetable side dish recipe, and is a great idea for a summer recipe to serve at a dinner party or potluck….
Sweet and Sour Eggplant, Tomatoes and Chickpeas
Tomatoes and eggplant is all about summer The combination of the molasses and the tomatoes create a rich and flavorful sauce for the eggplant and chickpeas….
Grilled Fruit with Balsamic Vinegar Syrup
A drizzling of Balsamic vinegar syrup makes for a delicious, tropical fruit treat. This is a great summer dessert, and fucking awesome….
Grilled Eggplant and Portobello Sandwich
This sandwich is a vegetarian option for your next cookout. Top it with slices of garden-fresh tomato and spicy arugula. It is so good and full of flavor. A mixed green salad completes dinner. …
Recipe Under : 0 to 100 Calories – Almond – Eggplant – Grilling – Lemon – Yogurt