Classic Boston Baked Beans
This classic bean dish gets its flavor from molasses, bacon, and mustard. There is a smoky, candied quality to this dish, which perfect for the barbecue side dish or the July 4th cookout. This legume dish is high in folate and a good source of iron. Folate helps form red blood cells, which contain iron. Both nutrients are important in preventing anemia. Dried Navy or Great Northern beans are the choices for this recipe. Plan ahead to soak the beans overnight.
(Make 12 servings)
Amount Per Serving (about 1/3 cup): 200 Calories, 4 g. Protein, 19 g. Carbohydrates, 6 g. Dietary Fiber, 4 g. fat (1 g. sat , 2 g. mono), 4 mg. Cholesterol, 197 mg. Sodium
- 2 cups of dried small, white beans (navy beans), picked over and rinsed, soaked overnight and drained
- 4 cups of water
- 2 bay leaves
- 3/4 tsp. of salt
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup of light molasses
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. of dry mustard
- 3 strips thick-cut bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Combine beans, water, bay leaves and 1/2 tsp. of salt in a large-sized, ovenproof pot with a tight-fitting lid or in a Dutch oven over high heat. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover partially and simmer until the beans have softened but are still firm, about 65 – 75 mins. Remove from heat and discard the bay leaves. Don’t drain the beans.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Stir onion, molasses, mustard, bacon and the remaining 1/4 tsp. of salt into the beans.
- Cover and bake for about 4 1/2 – 5 hours, until the beans are tender and coated with a light syrup. Check periodically to make sure the beans don’t dry out, stirring and adding hot water as needed.
Source : MayoClinic
Caribbean Red Beans and Brown Rice is great friend to low-carb diet. Brown rice pairs up with beans in this spicy Caribbean dish. It was full of flavor and very filling. A great weeknight meal. …
Brazilian Black Beans and Sausage
This recipe is a good source of fiber, which may help protect against some diseases. …
Garlic Green Beans with Parsley
These tender-crisp green beans are made with lemon, garlic and parsley. Quick and easy to make, tastes awesome with anything. They are good as a side dish. …
Creamed Beans and Potatoes
This Creamed Beans and Potatoes is so much greater than plain beans and potatoes. It is also an excellent way to incorporate green veggies into your or kid’s diet….
Sizzled Green Beans with Crispy Prosciutto and Pine Nuts
Excite your taste buds with this tasty green bean dish. Sizzling green beans in a little oil helps to bring out their natural sweetness. Prosciutto, pine nuts and lemon zest dress up the flavor …
Recipe Under : 100 to 200 Calories – Onion – White Bean