Chicken and Dumplings from Scratch
Impress your family with this rich, thick and creamy Chicken and Dumplings recipe without all of the fat of traditional versions. This dish is perfect for chilly nights. Try it and be converted to a dumplin’ lover forever. You can use leftover chicken or maybe a deli-rotisserie chicken, along with packaged broth or chicken stock to speed up the process.
(Make 6 servings)
Amount Per Serving (1 1/3 cups of stew and 4 dumplings): 334 Calories, 31.4 g. Protein, 32.2 g. Carbohydrates, 1.2 g. Dietary Fiber, 7.9 g. Fat (3.2 g. sat, 2.4 g. mono, 1.2 g. poly), 130 mg. Cholesterol, 755 mg. Sodium, 3.3 mg. Iron, 211 mg. Calcium
- 1 whole chicken (4 lb.)
- 3 qt. of water
- 3 cups of chopped onion
- 1 cup of chopped celery
- 1 cup of chopped carrot
- 1 tsp. of salt
- 1/4 tsp. of freshly ground black pepper
- 10 garlic cloves, peeled
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour (about 1 oz.)
- 2 tsp. of cornstarch
- 3 Tbsp. of heavy cream
- 3/4 cup of 1 percent low-fat milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour (about 6 3/4 oz.)
- 1 Tbsp. of baking powder
- 1 Tbsp. of cornmeal
- 1/2 tsp. of salt
- 1 Tbsp. of fresh chopped parsley
- Freshly ground black pepper
- To prepare stew: Remove and discard giblets and neck from chicken. Rinse chicken with cold water, place chicken in an 8-quart stockpot. Add 3 quarts water and next 8 ingredients, bring to a simmer. Reduce heat, and simmer for about 45 mins, skim surface occasionally, discarding solids.
- Remove chicken from pot, let cool. Strain stock through sieve into a large-sized bowl, discard solids. Remove chicken meat from bones, tear chicken meat into 2” pieces, and store in refrigerator. Let stock cool to room temperature.
- Pour stock into 2 zip-top plastic bags. Let stand for about 15 mins. Working with one bag at a time, snip off 1 bottom corner of bag, drain liquid into stockpot, stopping before fat layer reaches opening. Discard fat. Repeat procedure with remaining bag. Bring stock to a boil over medium-high heat, reduce heat, and simmer for about 15 mins, until reduced to 8 cups.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat for about 5 mins. Lightly spoon 1/4 cup of flour into a dry measuring cup, level with a knife. Add flour to pan, cook for about 1 min or until lightly browned, stirring constantly.
- Combine browned flour and cornstarch in a large-sized bowl, add 2/3 cup of stock to flour mixture, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Add flour mixture to remaining stock in pan, bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook for about 2 mins or until slightly thick. Reduce heat, stir in cream. Add chicken, keep warm over low heat.
- To prepare dumplings: Combine milk and egg in a medium-sized bowl. Lightly spoon 1 1/2 cups of flour into dry measuring cups, level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, cornmeal, and 1/2 tsp. of salt. Add flour mixture to milk mixture, stirring with a fork just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Drop one-third of dumpling batter by 8 heaping teaspoonfuls onto chicken mixture. Cover and cook for about 3 mins or until dumplings are done (do not allow chicken mixture to boil). Remove dumplings with a slotted spoon, place in a large-sized serving bowl or on a deep serving platter. Keep warm. Repeat procedure with remaining dumpling batter.
- Remove pan from heat, slowly pour stew over dumplings. Sprinkle with parsley and freshly ground black pepper. Serve immediately.
Source : MomsWhoThink
Chicken and Dumplings is just about the most delicious creation to ever come out of the deep South. Pure comfort food, of the highest order. You need a whole chicken cut into pieces and skinned. …
Chicken with Yellow Lentils Soup
Warm yourself up with a nice healthy Chicken with Yellow Lentils Soup. If you like smooth soup, you can pure the soup in a blender or food processor. …
Chicken and Dumpling Casserole
This Chicken and Dumpling Casserole is a really quick to make and easy casserole recipe that is delicious. It is full of flavor and requires only a few basic ingredients. …
Chicken Pot Pie with Phyllo Crust
This splendid homey pot pie is loaded with chunks of chicken, green veggies and fresh herbs, and potato smothered in a creamy sauce, topped with a crisp, flaky…
Chicken Salad Sandwich Mix
This Chicken Salad Sandwich Mix contains whole grains. Eating plenty of whole grains may help protect you against many chronic diseases….
Recipe Under : 300 to 400 Calories – Carrot – Celery – Onion