Berry Ginger Shortcakes
Here’s a quick and easy summertime classic shortcake. These sweet biscuits are split in half, filled with low-calorie sweetened berries, and topped with low-fat sour cream-flavored whipped topping. Yummy!
(Make 10 serving)
Amount Per Serving: 166 Calories, 4 g. Protein, 28 g. Carbohydrates, 2 g. Dietary Fiber, 4 g. Fat (2 g. sat), 10 mg. Cholesterol, 176 mg. Sodium
- 3 cups of fresh berries (sliced strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and/or blackberries)
- 2 Tbsp. of finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 2/3cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. of sugar
- 2 tsp. of baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. of baking soda
- 3 Tbsp. of butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup of buttermilk
- 1/4 cup of refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed or 1 egg
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 container (28 oz.) of frozen fat-free whipped dessert topping, thawed
- 1/4 cup of fat-free dairy sour cream
- Combine berries and crystallized ginger in small-sized bowl. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, to make shortcakes. For shortcakes, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda in medium-sized bowl.
- Using pastry blender, cut in butter or margarine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine buttermilk and egg product or egg. Add to flour mixture all at once, stirring just until mixture is moistened.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly coat baking sheet with cooking spray, set aside.
- On lightly floured surface pat dough to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut dough with floured 2-1/2-inch star-shaped or heart-shaped cookie cutter or round biscuit cutter, rerolling scraps as necessary.
- Place shortcakes on prepared baking sheet. Bake in oven for about 8-10 mins, or until golden. Cool shortcakes slightly on wire rack.
- To serve, combine whipped topping and sour cream in small-sized bowl. Split shortcakes in half. Place bottoms on dessert plates. Divide berry mixture among bottoms. Top each with some of whipped topping mixture. Replace the shortcake tops.
Source : Better Homes and Gardens
Kickin’ off the summer right on time with this old-fashioned short cake is hearty and low in fat. This dessert is best with fresh berries….
Apple Berry Cobbler
Summer berries team with apples for a great family dessert. This fruit cobbler is a lighter, fresher version of the fat-laden. Serve this dessert warm with whipped topping or ice cream…
Berry Pudding Cake
ake advantage of the fresh berry and hot temperatures of summer and make this tender cake top bakes while the berries bubble in their own juicy sweetness underneath….
Berry Dessert Nachos
This simple recipe is made with baked cinnamon-and-sugar tortilla chips topped with fresh berries, low fat whipped topping, almonds, and grated chocolate….
Angel Food Cake Stuffed with Whipped Cream and Berries
Hollow out an angel food cake and fill with a mixture of sweetened whipped cream and fresh berries for an impressive dessert. Feel free to use just blueberries, if you feel so inclined….
Recipe Under : 100 to 200 Calories – Blackberry – Blueberry – Ginger – Raspberry – Strawberry