Apple Bread Pudding
This comfort pudding is great for using up bread and apples. It is a wonderful dessert especially for the health conscious. Serve with low-fat ice-cream or cream. It is enjoyed by all. You can use super healthy and hearty whole wheat and grain bread. It turned out beautiful, healthy and delicious.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour 10 minutes (Plus standing time)
(Make 6 serves)
Amount Per Serving: 167 Calories, 25.5 g. Carbohydrates, 1.7 g. Dietary Fiber, 3.6 g. Fat, 1.1 g. Saturated Fat
- 2 medium apples peeled, cored, quartered and sliced
- 2 Tbsp. of brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. of water
- 2 1/2 cups of no-fat milk
- 1 vanilla bean, halved lengthways
- 4 slices thick fruit bread
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 tsp. of ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. of ground nutmeg
- In medium-size frying pan over low heat, dissolve sugar in water, add apples, simmer, uncovered, until apple is tender, stirring occasionally (about 5 min).
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease deep 6-cup ovenproof dish.
- In medium-size saucepan, combine milk and vanilla bean, bring to a boil. Remove from heat, stand, covered, about 5 min. discard vanilla bean.
- Meanwhile, cut bread slices into quarters. Arrange bread and apple in alternate layers in prepared dish.
- In medium-size bowl, Whisk eggs, cinnamon and nutmeg. Gradually whisk hot milk mixture into egg mixture. Carefully pour egg mixture over bread and apple. Place dish in large-size baking dish, add enough boiling water to baking dish to come halfway up side of pudding dish.
- Bake, uncovered, about 1 hour or until set. Serve with low-fat ice-cream or cream, if desired.
Source : Women’s Weekly
Recipe Under : 100 to 200 Calories – Bake – Dash Diet – Diabetes Recipes – Fruit – Healthy Dessert Recipes – Healthy Recipes – Healthy Snack Recipes – Low Fat Recipes